There is a huge amount of information out there encouraging new ways of raising our youth so we’ve hand picked some of our favourites to showcase here with you. We share regularly on Facebook & Instagram so please connect with us there and we have bunch of saved video’s on our YouTube account as well. Happy exploring!
~ The Purpose of Education – Noam Chomsky renowned philosopher, political activist, scientist and historian talks about education and why the current schooling system deprives our children from self-exploration, free thinking and the creativity inherent in each one of us.
~ Peace Code in the Human Brain – Robin Grille is a psychologist and psychotherapist with over twenty years experience working with individuals, couples and families. He is also a passionate public speaker, parenting educator and group facilitator. His inspiring and insightful TED talk, is a must watch for anyone interested in a more peaceful future for our children.
~ Gabor Mate on Attachment and Conscious Parenting – Gabor Mate, MD, author of Hold On to Your Kids, is interviewed by Lisa Reagan for Pathways to Family Wellness at his Kids, Culture and Chaos talk in Charlottesville, Virginia, in the spring of 2011.
~ Peter Hutton – What if students controlled their own learning – Peter Hutton hated his own school experience, where he felt that education was being done “to him”. As Principal of Templestowe College he developed an educational model that allows students to individualize their education and share control in the running of the school. As the school principal with a radical solution, no school bell, no school levels, staff selection and curriculum is even decided by students. Result? No bullying, collaboration, innovation in school dynamics. Watch
~ Rites of Passage – Surfing the Creative – A generation of embodied global leaders dancing into action.
~ Joseph Chilton Pearce – Play is Learning – The state of authentic PLAY is nature’s design for optimum learning and performance, at any age, in any activity. We substitute conditioning and call it learning, which is a big reason why retention is so low and dropout rates are so high. Five Stars!!! A must see for parents, educators and early childhood providers.
A review of John Abbott, director of the 21st Century Learning Initiative, thoughts and motives about why we must move away from a teacher-led schooling system into one that incorporates learning into everyday life and the community that surrounds us. Go to article.
More coming soon.
- Hold Onto Your Kids: Why parents need to matter more than peers – Gabore Mate
- The Ringing Cedars Series, Books 1, 3 & 8 in particular – Vladimir Megrè
- The Truly Alive Child: For those who seek a grander vision for our children – Simon Paul Harrison
- Free At Last: The Sudbury Valley School – Daniel Greenburg
- Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves: Transforming parent-child relationships from reaction & struggle to freedom, power & joy – Naomi Aldort
- Connection Parenting: Parenting through connection instead of coercion – Pam Leo
- The Indigo Children: The new kids have arrived – Lee Caroll & Jan Tober
- Punished by Rewards: The trouble with gold stars, Incentive plans, A’s, praise and other bribes – Alfie Kohn
- Radical Unschooling: A revolution has begun – Dayna Martin
- The Unschooling Handbook: How to use the whole world as your childs classroom – Mary Griffith
- Learning All The Time: How small children begin to read, write, count, and investigate the world without being taught. – John Holt
- Last Child In The Woods: Saving our children from Nature-Deficit Order – Richard Louv
- Parenting for a Peaceful World – Robin Grille
- Over schooled but undereducated – John Abbot
- The Unfinished Revolution – John Abbot
- Battling for the Soul of Education – John Abbot – Download the PDF free here
- The founder of the 21st Century Learning Initiative provides his findings and recommendations of 3 decades of synthesis. Promoting educational transformation for the youth of the western world